Tuesday, November 3, 2009

PET Scan went fine!

They have you fast so that every cell is in your body is in "look for glucose" mode, then they inject a glucose solution that has a radio signature dye. You sit around for about and hour and wait for your cells to absorb the glucose. Cancer cells have super appetites so they absorb a large portion of the glucose with the dye and end up glowing very bright on the scan.
They run the scan which means you lay very very still for about 25 to 35 minutes. The computers stick together multiple scans from two distinct systems and you get a 3d view of your whole body very cool!
They are not allowed to show you the results till the Dr has a chance to evaluate them and give you the news. (for good reason it's complex stuff)

Let's say I sneaked a look. looks as though I have the one large mass and maybe 2 small ones near by, I get a full report on Thursday.

2 comments:

  1. Chris-That sounds good that there were not widespread spots! I will continue the prayers. Thanks for this blog because I know it helps to have a place to post the info so your family and friends can check without you having to re-tell the information dozens of times. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm anxious to hear how the meeting with the oncologist went today. I'll check your site tomorrow. Prayers continue! Helen

    ReplyDelete