Wednesday, November 11, 2009

CHEMO Nausea A WORD OR TWO!

DO NOT READ THIS POST AS IT WILL MAKE YOU SICK!

First of let me say that they warned me about the Nausea and the powerful nature of it's over whelming force. Also as I have grown older I think my tolerance to Nausea has decreased.
One of the first things they push in the IV is a combination of powerful ANTI-NAUSEA drugs, in order to get you through the next 6 hours. They also told me on my departure, that I might notice the effects of these powerful ANTI-NAUSEA drugs wear off at 3 to 5 days after the treatment.

That being said after I went through the entire Chemo treatment and most of the evening feeling fine, and eating what I wanted, I assumed that I was different than 98% of the population and the drugs that they gave my in the IV cocktail would be sufficient. (I felt great! a little tired but great)

I went to the Christmas In Bethlehem rehearsal and still felt fine went home had some snacks felt fine watched a little TV felt fine. Then I got up to go to bed and I felt the first tell tail signs that I was not right with my stomach, you know that kind of a gurgling that could be confused with being hungry but not exactly.

The nurse at the clinic had warned me as I said earlier that I should stay out in front of the Nausea as it can escalate rapidly and get to a point where you can't hold down the water and the pill to stop it. So I was thinking about seeking out the 2 bottles of anti nausea medication prescribed, one long acting one quick acting.

I had no more than gotten upstairs to the bedroom than the freight train of Nausea hit me hard, much the way the shark grabs the swimmer in the opening of Jaws. I had to find those bottles! The distance from the bedroom door to the vanity in our bathroom seemed to be miles away and I was thoroughly convinced that if something wasn't done about this now, I was about to see everything I'd eaten since the Nixon administration.

I got to the counter and flashed on the light, Never mind that Deb was blissfully unaware sleeping soundly(Deb had gone to bed believing me and my declarations of immunity, that I was fine, as I was convinced this would not occur for a few days.) At this point I found the bottles popped open the fast acting one and took a pill, as the water crossed my lips I thought that the TVs next morning headline would declare "Man explodes in Rough & Ready home Film at 11".

Somehow my body managed to maintain control of this reflex and now I was just simply going to have wait for this little pill to take hold. I could not imagine remaining quiet enough to spend the night in the same room with Deb so I took my "roller coaster stomach" down stairs to wait it out.

I finally got to sleep and a hill of pillows to avoid laying down at about midnight. Then I was back up at 3 AM ready for another round. the second round of medication is now about working and I don't intend to miss a dose. (which is why I must go NOW to take the next one)

4 comments:

  1. That does NOT sound like a fun night at all! I hope that taking the long acting nausea medication will take care of that problem! Prayers continue for you and your family. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a very warm, humorous and sweet spirit, you and your family will be lifted up in my prayers. Dee x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you dad! This experience sounds strangely like the first 3 months I was pregnant with Gabe. Probably not as severe, but uncomfortable nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I read your post, I could not help but laugh at the humor you still have about this even though your condition is not funny. You probably felt like you were going to explode. That is not a good feeling. We are continuing to pray for good news in the coming weeks for you. We love you Chris Frank!

    ReplyDelete