Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Second go at Chemo today

I am being treated with a treatment regime known as,

CHOP Chemotherapy Plus Rituxan

A typical course of CHOP treatment consists of 6 - 8 cycles, given every 3 weeks (21 days).

CHOP consists of cyclophosphamide, vincristine and doxorubicin as infusions on the first day of each cycle (day 1). You have Prednisolone (a steroid) taken at home on days 1 - 5, orally. (and this is a not fun medication)

For Rituxan (AKA Rituximab) is added (CHOP-R), generally before CHOP

I am on the 6 cycle program. The oncology channel has a great specific recap of all of this

Today was a bit shorter than last time, I showed upat 8:50 am they called me right in and checked my blood numbers. They were OK, not great, but good enough to allow me to take the treatment.. My white cell count was at the lower edge of acceptable. It hasn't effected me or how I feel, but they were concerned and so watched me closely and then prescribed a prophylactic antibiotic to avoid infection.

The first thing was the anti nausea drugs then the Doxorubicin, next is Oncovin® (AKA vincristine ), then Cyclophosphamide, and last the Rituxan (AKA Rituximab) which goes very slowly

I read a bit, I dozed a bit, visited with others, and I listened to my iPod. by 2:30 Iwas on my way to the pharmacy.

I think I feel pretty good but glad to be sitting with my feet up.

I know that many of you are praying for Deb and me an we thank you all!!


Jeremiah 29:11

.




1 comment:

  1. Chris, You know my prayers are with you all. I hope you had a smooth night! Helen

    ReplyDelete