Monday, January 18, 2010

A P.O.W.

I don’t
have cancer,
but, apparently
cancer has me.


From the moment
I knew it was there,
imbedded deep
in his chest,


(the place
I have spent so many nights
with my head upon,
listening for the heart beat
that I know
better than my own.)


it has gripped me
in its claws.
It has stolen my joy,
offended my hope.


I has terrified me,
lurking behind
every smile
every touch,
even

at the unexpected
sight of him,
which has always
given me
such a thrill.


It placed itself
like a too tall
patron in the
theater of my days


The movie
keeps playing
as I lean
and rise
and duck
to see
what I saw
before
it sat down
in front of me.


The sound of cancer
is percussive.
I have heard it many times
before…


The close explosions
and peppering fire
from nearby hillsides.


An Aunt. . .
the mother who was
my childhood neighbor. . .
The people across the road
who fell asleep in their car
rather than wait for it
to take them. . .
Husbands. . .
Wives. . .
People I have grown
to love. . .
The father-in-law
I never knew. . .


Each shot,
every explosion,
turning my head
to its direction
but then,
it was always
someone else's
battle.


No longer

The silent roar
is deafening
as he and the others
fight this thing
that has changed
everything.


and I
am held captive
in the midst
of this battle


untouched
untrained
and
unarmed.


II Corinthians 12:9
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness"
Therefore I will boast gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

Written by Deb Frank January 17th, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment